Christian Science is the Bible-based practice of the laws of God, or laws of divine Love—laws that Christ Jesus came to teach us, and to help us prove for ourselves.
Christian Scientists believe in:
- One infinite God, who is All and all-good—not distant, but always present
- God’s love and care for every person
- Every person made in God’s image—spiritual, not material
- The inspired word of the Bible
- Christ Jesus as the Son of God, or promised Messiah
- Christ Jesus’ teachings and works as scientific Christianity, examples of the laws of God
- The healing power of infinite Love
- No one is beyond redemption or healing
- No problem is too entrenched to be healed
- Healing is here and now, not at some time in the future
The founder of the Christian Science Church, Mary Baker Eddy (1821-1910), demonstrated through healing others her revealed understanding of the divine power portrayed in the life and teachings of Christ Jesus. The Bible is the Church’s sacred scriptural authority, and Christian Scientists study Eddy’s spiritual interpretation as explained in her groundbreaking book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, for its spiritual, practical meaning.” Since 1898, thousands of documented healings have been published continuously each week in Christian Science publications.
The Church’s Artistic Gift to the Community
Members of the Christian Science church pray for and contribute to the harmony, wholeness and peace of Alexandria and its citizens and visitors. They express their love for the community in many ways — through healing Sunday services and Wednesday testimony meetings; a reading room/bookstore open to the public 7 days a week and full of powerful, inspiring and practical ideas that heal; radio programs full of individual stories of healing; and talks on the practical healing power of the laws of God, which heal and redeem lives. On October 5, 2013, the church sponsored a public mural at the corner of Del Ray and Mt. Vernon avenues during the annual “Art on the Avenue” event, giving a gift of beauty and spiritual inspiration to last many years. The mural was painted by Alex Cook, with help from many community members. It was organized with the help of Alexandria business owners Paul Haire and Pat Miller. That evening, the church also sponsored an uplifting concert of original music by the same artist, which was attended by many locals. Click here to see more pictures of this fun event.